We might add... when everyone else speaks English. Well, here are some of the main reasons:
- Actually, there are many more people in the world who don’t speak English than do!
- Just think how much time and effort those who have learnt English have put into their studies; shouldn’t we make some effort as well in acknowledgment of this?
- Even learning a limited amount of the language can make a huge difference to the benefit derived from a trip overseas.
- Learning a language is often a key to understanding a people and a culture.
- You only really understand your own language when you can compare it with others.
- Learning a language is mentally stimulating and fascinating in its own right.
- In most countries around the world, it is taken for granted that educated people will speak at least one foreign language.
- New Zealand trades more with non-English-speaking countries than with those where English is the first language; surely some of us need to speak their languages.